Have a voice in the future of Fauquier County, Join us ... CFFC is a non-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to preserve the natural, historic and agricultural resources of Fauquier County and to preserve the County's unique quality of life through education and leadership.
Make a Tax Deductible Donation or Renew Your Membership by clicking on the Donate Button
Auburn Battlefield receives recognition on Virginia State Register and National Register of Historic Places Thanks to a grant from the American Battlefield Protection Program and private donations, CFFC was able to hire consultants to study the Civil War troop movement, the archaeology, the cultural landscape and the events that took place on October 13th and 14th, 1863, at Auburn. In June, 2011, The Virginia Department of Historic Resources voted Auburn Battlefields on to the Virginia State Register of Historic Places. On December 5, 2011, the property was listed by the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, to the National Register of Historic Places.
Many residents of the area contributed knowledge and support to the endeavor. In particular, CFFC Board member, Sue Scheer, provided pertinent information by spending time with the professionals going over written documents, introducing them to neighbors and by traveling around the core area of the battlefield to point out specific sites. CFFC Board member, Susan Russell and Historic Resources Chairman, worked with the ABPP by providing quarterly status and financial reports to the organization.
By the end of February, copies of the 107 page documentation of the Auburn Battlefields will be available at local libraries for the public’s enjoyment. We are fortunate to have such a wealth of Civil War history in our county
In the late afternoon on October 13, Confederate cavalry under General Lunsford Lomax encountered the Union Third Corps as it marched north along the Old Carolina Road to Greenwich. Lomax, guarding an important crossroads south of Auburn, skirmished with the Third Corps but withdrew to Warrenton upon discovering he confronted a much larger force.
Graphic summary of the battles at Auburn VA on 13 and 14 Oct 1863
Lomax’s commander General J.E.B. Stuart and his men spent the day reconnoitering near Catlett Station. Upon their return, they found themselves cut off from their Confederate base and trapped between portions of the Union army. Stuart hid his men in a ravine for the night and sent scouts to Warrenton to procure reinforcements from General Richard Ewell. The Union Third Corps passed by unknowingly.
The next morning, Union Brigadier General John C. Caldwell’s Second Corps Division advanced over the Cedar Run bridge and prepared for action on a hill to the north, where some broke for breakfast. Stuart moved part of his force to a hill located one-half mile east of these Federals. While they ate their repast on this hill, known afterwards as “Coffee Hill,” Stuart unleashed artillery fire. After recovering from this unexpected assault, the Federals responded with their own artillery fire.
Meanwhile, Ewell’s reinforcements drew near Auburn and skirmished with Federal troopers. Once the sound of fighting was heard, Stuart began a full attack. Stuart ordered General John B. Gordon to charge Union General John Caldwell’s men east of Coffee Hill near St. Stephens Road. The Federals eventually beat back Gordon’s charge, but not before Stuart and his men escaped. This inconclusive battle allowed but did not deter the Federals from their rendezvous at Bristoe Station.
To down load the PIF submitted supporting the Auburn Battlefield nomination to the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places CLICK HERE
4 PM Oct 13 1863
Oct 13 Engagement with Lomax
6 PM Oct 13 to Dawn Oct 14
Dawn Oct 14
6 to 8 AM Oct 14
Oct 14 Union Withdrawl
8 to 9 AM Oct 14
Copyright 2006 to 2010, Citizens for Fauquier County